Sunday, August 7, 2016

I wanted to post the idea of how effective differentiated instruction effects my teaching, but i found that it is truly the essence of how and what I already teach.  I know there is always more to learn and experience in teaching, but the most interesting aspect of teaching comes about when I engage my students.  When I learn and question them about what excites them, the world of education becomes a blank slate which allows my to build upon my curriculum and choose a way to teach that supports their interest.  I value the open discussions with my students that formatively create an assessment that I use throughout the year to build exciting lesson plans with their interests in mind.  The most unique connections make for the best learning outcomes.  I love to create assignments that mirror what students may encounter in the outside world.  For example, when we cover the rock cycle part of the lesson requires students to become part of an energy company where they are assigned jobs that make them think about consequences to the world around them.  I assigned specific tasks like geologist, chemist, public relations, consumer advocates, etc. and students have to provide research and determine outcomes for finding solutions to problems such as fracking or hydraulic fracturing.  These are actual problems that are a part of the subject matter connecting them to real authentic subjects.  The interest and outcomes are so amazing.  This type of differentiated teaching is what motivates both me and my students to new heights.  It's not just about standardized testing anymore...for that I am grateful to be a teacher in this time in history!

No comments:

Post a Comment